Monday, August 13, 2007

Temporarily Grounded

Last week I fell and broke my foot! And for those who know me, it comes as no surprise that I am greatly put out that I am temporarily grounded - no hill climbing, hiking, exploring wooded areas... Can you hear the huge sigh that accompanies that statement? The only saving graces here are that (a) this happens to be the most hot and humid time of year here so it isn't as pleasant outside as it usually is and (b) I have plenty of books to read, yarn to knit and stories to write so boredom isn't inevitable.



I am still working my twelve hour shifts at the hospital. Don't get me wrong, it would be better if I didn't but there is this little thing called health insurance that is only available if one works her contracted hours...so... Need I say more?



I fell Thursday and promptly turned around and worked three twelve hour shifts in a row (OUCH!) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Today I am off and have given in to the desire to do "as little as possible." My tecnicolor foot has been elevated much of the day. (I joked with my dad earlier today that at least the foot is in my favorite colors -- varying shades of blues and greens and purples) And while staying off of the foot, I've managed to do a fair amount of writing plus a bit of reading, watched a video and soon I plan to pick up the knitting needles.



I knew that I had to do the other things before the knitting needles came out of the bag because once they are in hand all else goes by the wayside! With the rest of the afternooon and evening ahead of me, I should have plenty of time to work on finishing one project and logging (um, knitting) some time on a second project. It's truly addictive, that sound of knitting needles and the feel of the fibers between your fingers. Maybe being temporarily grounded isn't such a bad thing afterall.

No comments: