Monday, September 04, 2006

Teapot Tales




When I used my teapot collection as the basis for a story in my Story Circle Network writing e-circle, several of my writing sisters suggested that I consider writing the stories of specific teapots in my collection.
After their suggestions, I went so far as to assign names to some of them (and am still working on names for others) Teapot Rose, Teapot Grace and Teapot Belle are all here with you as you read this entry - as are some of the yet to be named teapots.

My pending move to Tennessee seems like the perfect time to act on those suggestions and begin the teapot tales in earnest. Why now? Well... As I mentioned in a previous post, I am not taking all of my belongings with me on the first pass. Some of my belongings are staying behind for now. Some are going to be packed and sent to me. Some will be packed safely for my daughter to keep til she comes up to visit later this fall.

Because I am heading directly into autumn, I feel fairly certain that I will have plenty of opportunities to steep a nice pot of tea and enjoy it in the cool night air. What better way to do so than with one of the teapots from my collection? And, of course, what better vessel for enjoying that tea than from one of my bone china tea cups - of equally sentimental value?

But how to decide which one will go and which ones will stay behind? Now that is a tricky question! It's like asking a mother which one of her kids she wants to take along if she had to choose. Her natural instinct is to want to take all of them - keep them close to her - protect them from others who might not care for them in the same loving way she would. But, in the case of my teapots, it just isn't practical to take them all with me.

Afterall, I am not going to be settling into one place and staying there for more than three or six months just now. And, I certainly know that the more times I pack and unpack those china teapots, the more chances there are for breakage or loss.
And so, it seems as though I find myself standing in front of my teapot collection on a daily basis. Remembering how each of them came into my life. Pondering what their beauty brings to my soul and my kitchen. And reflecting on times shared with others in the enjoyment of each teapot. How to choose? Perhaps letting their stories guide me to the selection will also result in the creation of the teapot tales... I'd like to think so!

Some days it seems that a few of them are shrinking back into the recesses of their display... hiding... not wanting to be wrapped in old newsprint any more... not wanting to be uprooted from the comfortable nitch they have found for themselves. While others seem to be shouting "pick me! pick me!"

My days here in Florida are numbered. ELEVEN to be exact! During the next few of those eleven days, I need to listen carefully to what each of those teapots is telling me. I need to choose wisely so that I can spend those "honeymoon days" of time in Tennessee with the one that will bring me enough comfort to last til I can have the whole collection with me once again.
And, I need to jot down a few notes so that I can continue with the teapot tales once I am at liberty to while away my days and nights entertaining my muse - with tea of course! (Stay tuned for the teapot tales as they unfold to my muse and she whispers them in my ear on the cool autumn nights!)

1 comment:

Trilla said...

I love the teapot tales; I'm looking forward to sharing. Do let us know which pot gets to make the journey. Travel safely on the road and through the next few months. You have many pulling for you and caring for you!

Patricia P. (SCN)