Monday, September 04, 2006

Cabin Fever

It happens every year about this time - the Florida version of cabin fever. For the most part, I have always attributed it to the fact that, by September, it has been three months or more since it was pleasant enough to have the windows open. Fresh air seems like a figment of my imagination by this time of year here. The stale air of air conditioning is a way of life. And the outside air at nearly 100% humidity most days is so thick that it is beyond oppressive.

This year it's different, however. This year, it is just as hot and humid. The long stretch of closed windows and air conditioned rooms is real. But, this year, I am on the verge of escaping this September cabin fever and my tolerance is tempered by knowing that in a matter of two weeks I will be in Tennessee.

I searched on line today and discovered that it is only in the mid-70's in Kingsport these days. More importantly, I read that the humidity is only in the 60-70% range and the temperatures reportedly are dipping into the 50's at night. I can almost feel the air blowing through open windows, a feel of freshness to the air and nighttime temps that are ripe for "good sleeping weather."

I'm in the process of packing to make the move. And, since this is the first step in the process of creating a new life, I am limited as to just how much I can / should take with me this time. Some things will need to stay behind permanently. Others can be sent to me later. For right now, the essentials and a few things to help me create my own sacred and creative spaces (and of course my two kitties) are about all that are going to fit in my car.

As I sorted through my clothing, I realized that I was choosing some items to take based on the fact that I know the temperatures will be changing to the cooler fall weather soon. Other items were picked to stay behind because for the first time in nearly 30 years I found myself thinking that I won't be needing sandals and white clothing because it is after Labor Day! Honestly!

When I first moved to Florida, it took me a few years to shake that notion that my Gramm had so well ingrained in me as I was growing up in Pennsylvania. And once I got used to the idea that shorts, sleeveless tops, sandals and WHITE could be worn year-round it became second nature. But there was always the longing to wear sweaters, fall colors, and layers for fashion as well as comfort. I know that some will find this to be an odd sort of longing but from a 'fall gal at heart' it is as real as any longing I have ever felt.

In another month or so, I may be shivering under those fall clothing layers. But the one thing you won't find me doing is closing all the windows and throwing on some unnatural way of climate control. Nor will you find me complaining about the cooler weather. I look forward to it with all the enthusiasm of a child waiting for Christmas!

No comments: