Sunday, August 27, 2006

Of Weddings, Hurricanes, Contracts and Resignations

Alot can happen in ten days! Just ask me, I know!
That's about how long it's been since I last posted to creative4seasons. But, believe me, it was not for lack of desire to do so. Things are going at warp speed here all of a sudden. For so long I felt as though I was stuck in mud - well, maybe quicksand because I felt as though I was being pulled down, down, down. And now, in the matter of a few days, change is all around me.

Last Saturday (August 19th) my youngest daughter, Mandy married the love of her life - her Lee (Scott Lee Lewis) - the young man who has been by her side for eight years now... the father of Miss KelseyRose... one of my 'sons' for far longer than he has officially been married into the family.

They rented the upper deck of the Naples Princess for a sunset dinner cruise with the captain to marry them. A gutsy move for the middle of August which is also the middle of hurricane season. And, while they did have some rain, they didn't let the weather dampen their spirits. It was a delightful evening. Even the dolphins came out to wish them well. Several of them romped in the water, riding the wake created by the Naples Princess. A couple of them jumped up as if to wish the bride and groom a lifetime of happiness.

There is an old Florida wives' tale that says that if it rains on your wedding day it means good luck. And the Florida fishermen say that dolphins accompanying you on your journey mean safe passage and good luck.

So, I'd say that Mandy and her Lee have been dealt a double dose of good luck as they start their lives as husband and wife.

About the same time I was finishing up the final stages of contract negotiation for my job as a travel nurse. My contract with the agency and its client in Kingsport, TN officially begins on September 18th. That means I will be in TN before the leaves change and will get to enjoy fall like I have not been able to do in thirty years or so!

I have turned in my three-week notice and have already worked one of those three weeks. I have begun to make lists of things to do, people to contact, items to pack or discard, loose ends to tie up... there is no end to what my mind can wander to these days!

There's a new bounce in my step - a lightness of being. It is called contentment. It is called anticipation of changes that can be nothing but good. It is called taking care of ME for a change!

Even the threat of a visit from Hurricane Ernesto cannot dampen my spirit right now... Of course, if Ernesto decides that Southwest Florida is his intended destination I may change my tune. I had so hoped to be out of Hurricane Alley before a major storm came through the area. Now it appears as though that may not be the case. Time will tell. Hurricanes are fickle. Weather patterns are unpredictable. Mother Nature has a mind of her own.
And I have my sights set on Tennessee in the next two and a half weeks no matter what comes my way between now and then. As I said, alot can happen in a matter of days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lee,
Saying a blessing that you will be spared Ernesto.I know that hurricanes will be one of those things that you will be so glad to leave behind when you move to your new home. Changing leaves, changing seasons, changing heart landscapes- all good changes.

Lighting a candle for your safety,
Blessings, Marti