Sunday, June 24, 2007

Appalachian Quilt Trail




Here in Northeastern Tennessee, there is a bit of history and creativity that is free for the viewing... The Appalachian Quilt Trail. Historic buildings (many of them old barns but there are a few general stores and covered bridges as well) proudly stand along roadsides in several of the surrounding counties adorned with painted images of old quilt patterns.


Now, I am an early American history buff. And, I love quilts! I have taken some very elementary quilting classes and have a whole closet full of materials that have been carefully coordinated for various quilting projects for one of these days when I get "round to it".... And, I love to explore the area each time I get a new job assignment.


So, add all of the above together and you have an outing (or in this case, quite a few outings) in the making.

Since the quilts are on private property and oft times along busy highways, it is not something one can do without time, patience and a sense of wonder.


There are over fifty quilts displayed on these old barns here in the five county region. I plan to make it my business to visit each and every one of them - and photograph them - before I leave this beautiful area of Northeast Tennessee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can view all the quilt blocks on the Appalachian Quilt Trail at www.vacationaqt.com, or call 1-888-775-4AQT for additional information.

Thanks!