Sunday, October 15, 2006

Discovery!


Today was one of those picture perfect days. Crisp autumn air, clear blue sky.
Hints of red, orange and gold everywhere I looked. It was a perfect day for a Sunday drive in the country.

Ever since I arrived here in Tennessee, I have been trying to explore a little bit on my days off. Today was no exception. Another day off ... another day of exploration. Another exploration... another discovery! That's the way it goes. You go exploring and no matter where you end up, you discover something or someplace that makes the time spent worthwhile.

Deciding to get off the interstate and take a drive in the country was a treat in and of itself. But, when I spied the little signs pointing the way to "old covered bridge" I knew that I had made my discovery for today's trip. What I didn't know at that exact moment was how that discovery would shape my thoughts all day today.

Built in 1875, the Harrisburg Covered Bridge was today's discovery.
Covered bridges are not new to me. I have many fond memories of walking or driving through them in Pennsylvania when I was young. But, today's discovery awakened a different sort of memory from deep within...

I was transported to "Bridges of Madison County" and as I stood there in awe of a structure that is over one hundred thirty years old, I couldn't help but think that in a different way, I was much like Francesca from "Bridges". Oh, I am not having an affair with a Clint Eastwood type photographer. But I am having an affair - an affair of the heart and soul. An affair with my very core.

This move to Tennessee has opened the flood gates. My curiosity is piqued. My senses are in a heightened state of awareness. The wonders of Mother Nature bring joy and peace. The more time I spend in the outdoors, exploring and discovering, the more I realize that I am finding the person I thought I lost a long time ago. I like her! I like her a lot!


And in that moment, everything I knew to be true about myself up until then was gone. I was acting like another woman, yet I was more myself than ever before.
-- Francesca from "Bridges of Madison County"

1 comment:

Judy said...

Lee--

I can just *feel* your enthusiasm and excitement. I am so happy that after all these years of longing, you have finally come "home" again! --Judy