Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Mandatory Overtime ?


I really am still here although the lack of recent posts might lead one to believe otherwise. I cannot believe that the holidays have gone and the first month of 2007 is history and I didn't get one single post up on the blog. And why no posts? The short answer is WORK!


Ah, yes, I know what you're thinking... "But she took this job to have more time to play/create/take care of herself and less time for work!" You'd be absolutely correct if you thought that. Somewhere between December 14th's post and last week, the bottom fell out of that safety net. Mandatory imposed overtime to the tune of 50-60 hrs per week instead of the contracted 36 per week can be a real creativity killer! It doesn't do much for the soul either.


But, now that the February schedule is in place there is no more overtime - mandatory or otherwise. There was never supposed to be in the first place. I am, afterall, not the hospital's employee but rather an employee of the travel agency who signed a contract with the hospital. The staffing issues at the hospital are not going to go away - whether I work extra or not... But, my own energies and creative desires certainly took a holiday while I was working unreasonable schedules.


So, now you all are wondering what's going on in my life... maybe...


First and foremost, I am still in Tennessee. The second 13 week contract is at the halfway mark. We know (my recruiter and I) that there is no way I am staying here any longer. And we have been trying to find a possible 'good fit' for me in Arizona... they have plenty of jobs in Arizona but not necessarily in the place that I want to be (doesn't that have a familiar ring to it?) The goal is to get as close to a little place called Green Valley as possible. That is where my dear friend and sister of the soul, AnnMarie lives and SHE is the reason I am wanting to go to Arizona in the first place. The closest city to Green Valley is Tucson. Right now, there are no openings in Tucson and the closest my recruiter can get me is 90-some miles from there.


I know all about those 90-some miles for that is the same distance I am from Caleb. It doesn't seem impossible but it isn't necessarily ideal either. I know from experience that if the work schedule gets difficult, the thought of three hours of drive time to spend a couple of hours visiting becomes more than I care to deal with. So, for now, I am keeping my eyes on Tucson and its surrounding area and hoping that my recruiter will have the perfect job for me there!


The overtime put some real kinks in time with Caleb. That is the biggest sore spot about the whole mandatory overtime fiasco. I have seen him a few times but not for the blocks of time I had hoped over the holidays, etc. Before you go getting too concerned, he and I did get to spend three wonderful days together the week before Christmas - at which time we celebrated our Christmas since I was slated to work both the Christmas Eve & Day as well as the New Year's Eve and Day shifts. And we've had some great "dates"! We would go out to a matinee and lunch or do something fun together and then I'd turn around and drive back so that I could be at work the next day.

With a "normal" work schedule in place, (does anyone really know the meaning of the word 'normal'?) I am beginning to find time and energy to do some writing and altered book art. And I have plans to pick up Caleb when he gets home from school on Friday! We are not going on a date! We are coming back to my place for the whole weekend! I can't wait!
I am still relishing the fact that I am living someplace other than the land of perpetual summer. Contrary to what my family thought, I am not freezing my **** off! And I am not hibernating! Instead, I am living each day in awe of the way Mother Nature moves with unassuming grace here in these mountains. And I am STILL waiting for it to snow!!

No comments: