Monday, February 26, 2007

The Perk They Could Never Promise

When travel nursing recruiters begin to recite the list of perks associated with traveling there is one they can't offer - it's one that is far more valuable than many of the standard perks. It's a perk that didn't factor into my initial decision to travel - or to do so in Tennessee for now. One of the best perks that I've been able to enjoy is being able to meet someone I've known for five years or more but have yet to see her face-t0-face - until February 17th.




Starting out in the pre-dawn hours so that I could arrive mid-morning, I was filled with anticipation of the visit. Heading out of Kingsport, I was in awe of the sunrise that was unfolding in front of me. So much so that I had to stop to capture it. It was, I decided, a glimpse at the beauty to come during the weekend I was about to share with Mary Jo.



As I neared the end of my four hour drive to Virginia, I was amazed to find that Mother Nature had duplicated a scene that I had seen far too many times in the past few years down in Hurricane Alley. The area had been hit with a powerful snow and ice storm just days before. As I drove along the Interstate, I noticed that trees and roadside cliffs had been spared any sign of damage on their southern facing sides. But the northern facing sides of the trees were clad in thick ice causing the trees to bend and in some cases snap under the weight. The once sturdy trees were now listing to one side - bent over from the impact of the wind and the weight of the ice. This image was the cold version of what the wind and salt water of hurricanes do to trees in its path.




With Valentine's Day ice still coating the fields and roadsides of the Interstate I felt as though I had truly entered a winter wonderland. Afterall, wasn't it only a blog post or two ago that I said I was waiting to experience 'real winter' here in Tennessee? Well... I found it first in Virginia and then in Tennessee upon my return. (The ride back was not a pleasant and sunny one; windy conditions and snow blowing sideways made for a much more difficult drive at the end of the visit)










Mary Jo and I have shared stories for several years now. We write our stories every month and post them to the Story Circle Network's Internet Chapter e-circle #5. There is even a story about this small weeping willow tree planted on Mary Jo's property. Fifty or sixty stories later, we felt as though we knew one another quite well... So well that upon arrival, we immediately struck up a conversation as if we'd talked just a few minutes ago. We spent the weekend telling new stories, elaborating on the stories we posted to the circle in the past, encouraging one another to "write that book" and reveling in the incredible comfort of being with someone who shares common threads in life.

The weekend visit was one to be savored for days and weeks to come. And that is just what I have been doing for a little over a week now. For much of that time, I have gazed at the photos I snapped and recalled the wonder of the visit and the artisitic footnotes of Mother Nature. But now, it is time to share the visit and the photos with my other readers... And go back to the challenge to "write that book" !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Real winters, even with their dangerous driving conditions. Meeting in the flesh, a dear friend from the cyber world. Life is good when it unfolds in such special ways.

And then the news of forthcoming books from two special women; gifts to us all, waiting to unfold.

Simple joy abounding,
Marti

Anonymous said...

This posting takes me right back to our visit, Lee, and I wish I'd checked your blog earlier. We're in full blossom now though: brilliant yellow forsythia, pink cherry blossoms, and the beautiful fuschia haze of the red buds, colors that closely match the beautiful post you recently did with pics of Caleb and Tennessee.

Shalom, my dear circle sister,
Mary Jo